Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Growing little people

I often think into the future, but I suppose I never expected my sweet little Abbi would get bigger and smarter and more child less baby... I watch and I see a heart of gold, joy beyond belief, and a fierce desire to protect her little sister and brother. This summer at VBS the girls were running around the sanctuary playing with balloons, a little boy close to Abbi's age was pretending to be something mean. At first he roared in her face - she could care less. Next the little boy went to Hope and roared, Hope hardly blinked but Abbi instinctively wrapped her arm around Hope and led her back to "safety." I watched her become a little person. She carries on a complete conversation and she remembers. She knows emotions, she asks why someone is sad or frustrated.
With her first time experiencing VBS, I tried not to be sentimental... to no avail. Wasn't she just a baby? A baby in a scared, young, momma's arms? The year before she was born I was volunteering at VBS, the week before I left for a nine week trip to Uganda. How did all that time pass? How is she old enough to be dropped off and left? Left to make her own friends, left to learn worship songs without me around. How is she old enough to be one of those kids that I used to love playing with and building a friendship with? I did not expect myself to find it as difficult as I do, I didn't think I would struggle not knowing the actions to the songs she comes home singing. But now, two months later, she is still singing the songs and doing the actions. She remembers. She knows. When playing with little disney figures she tells them, "Even when you are afraid, Jesus loves you." Her imagination is extraordinary, and I have no doubt she got that from me! I listen as she plays, her family has a photoshoot, her character's are named Adam and Teressa. We have friends with a large family, the 10 and 14 year olds are her favourite people on earth, she admires them. When did she get old enough to know people aside from family? 
I so desperately want to focus my attention on my precious little ones during these stages. I know it will pass quickly... but I love it! I love seeing the people they are becoming. I love seeing them become more and more independent. As long as they know I am here for them, rooting them on. And more importantly, that Jesus loves them and has a special plan for each of their days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment