This special evening... a holiday... My parents graciously offered to watch our children while Adam and I escaped for an hour of fishing.
I look over as my dear husband drives the boat away from the dock. A beautiful red cabin. So similar, yet so different from the childhood memories surrounding it. Catching frogs, playing paper dolls, hours upon hours of swimming. This place is special. It is the perfect memory. Life was easy, imagination and basic living. I remember the days of no electricity, grandpa would pop popcorn in the fireplace. I remember the days of no internet, you read and talked and played games around the table. I remember as a teenager, if we brought our cellphones out of our bags we set them up in the front send window to receive a signal. Now there are both, I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. Life is more convenient. An occasional shower is a positive. An indoor toilet is a positive. But everyone checking their phones and iPads and computers... I miss the escape. I remember my grandma used to say the day the internet came to the lake she wouldn't. I think she had two summers with internet here before she passed away. Some memories never fade, when Abbi opens the door I can hear my grandma in the back of my mind "Shut the door!"
But tonight she is not here. I see the loneliness in my grandpa's eyes, he misses her. Tonight he was sitting outside in the screen room listening to some of their favourite songs. The Prayer (by Andrea Brocelli & Celine Dion) came on. My heart stopped for a moment... that was her favourite song. One of the top five for sure. My grandpa is an amazing man, he was an incredible husband. He washed her feet every night. He woke up every night to give her a blood test at 3 am. He did everything for my grandma and never once complained. I still don't know if I have ever heard him complain.
I am so thankful for this place. Malachi. My childhood safe place. Although a vacation here is not truly relaxing, there is always work to be done... but it's wonderful. I love it. Every moment of being here brings joy and tranquility.
No comments:
Post a Comment