Saturday, 19 November 2016

Direction and Guidance

This week I was feeling quite conflicted. We have applied for a youth pastor position that would send us 12 hours away from where I was born, raised and from all of our immediate family. The moving part kind of excites me although I always thought when I did move it would be across the ocean to Africa... In time ;)
So Wednesday morning I sat down with my computer, journal, and Bible. I wrote "Lord, give me the direction and guidance I need. Either to encourage Adam or give reason and caution if that is what is needed." Funny how I thought I needed God to show me how to teach Adam - you know God loves letting me think I am helping others when really He is getting ready for a big lesson for my own heart!
I read a few Psalms that all sang of God's goodness, and He totally knows what He is doing.
Psalms 3:3 says But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Fitting as my prayer has been, 'soften my heard Lord, for this season is for Your glory."
I decided, perhaps watching some of this church's sermons will give me some insight into how they operate. Will we align theologically, will we feel connected and be able to find community there? I prayed for assurance that God would speak to my heart. He smiled. I'm sure of it. I found a sermon titled "Life", I figured it was fairly basic. I would say in the depths of my heart, although I want God to mould me I was looking more for an excuse that this couldn't be the place for us.
The sermon began and not only spoke to a specific situation that Adam and I had walked through the previous day, but spoke to my most treasured heart topic. In the sermon the Pastor brought up the Cecil the lion situation. (If you have been hiding in a cave for a few years - Cecil the Lion was shot by an American dentist and everyone freaked out about it. I won't speak about my opinions of the lion and the dentist because that is besides the point.) I am sure the Pastor said word for word what I had said when the whole thing went down. "The international outrage over poor Cecil, while there continues to be complete disregard for the life and welfare of Africans themselves. One lion, freaking out, millions of Africans, who cares?" He brought up Africa - the importance of African lives. That's my jam. That's where my heart is at and has always been. So, God used my area of greatest passion to connect with the sermon.
The next point that hit home is a more sensitive subject because it is not pertaining to just myself. To preserve the sensitivity of the subject I will only say, he shared a story of him and his wife and a situation they were presented with and their response. The day before listening to this sermon I saw someone post a  prayer request on our church ladies site, it hit my heart in a way I didn't expect. I shared the prayer request with Adam who was in class talking about intercession. His and my heart both felt the same way, our response was not one I had expected in any way but it was undeniable that it was God's voice and guiding. The two situations, although not something often heard of, were almost identical. Our responses, also identical. And the outcome of both were devastating and identical.
That doesn't just happen. God used that situation to teach me. Needless to say, after listening to the sermon and letting God whisper softly into my heart, I knew He has everything under control. Whether we get the job or not, whether it works out or not, at this moment, I am called to trust. And obey.

Proverbs 3:11-13
My child, don't reject the Lord's discipline, and don't be upset when he corrects you. For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights. Joyful is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gains understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment